Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Boundaries - What Do They Look Like?

God has continually been whispering to me how much He loves me, but so many other things in my life have been shouting so loud that it was difficult for me to hear him. I have been reminded over and over to "Let be and be still, and know (recognize and understand) that I am God." Psalm 46:10

For me personally, God has been asking me to loosen my grip on some activities and relationships in my life that have been "distractions" and even holding me back to who God was trying to get me to be IN HIM. I'm am not saying these were not good, but I was holding on too tightly to the worth they gave me. The approval I needed. They had become little gods in my life. He wanted me to focus on Him and let HIM give me HIS love, worth and approval. One day, I believe I will get them back and they will be so much sweeter to me.

The most difficult part of trusting God is when He wants me to take a step in the direction He gives me, and I find myself in that new place and it's not familiar or comfortable at first, but God in His infinite wisdom knows what I need to be whole and healthy in my spirit, soul and body. Although it's difficult to admit, not everything and everyone in our lives contributes to our healthiness, and at times are harmful to us. It is in these circumstances that God wants us to have strong boundaries in place. "Keep and guard your heart with all vigilence and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life." Proverbs 4:23



Today briefly, I will share what I learned about what boundaries look like from Henry and John's book: These quotes are more intended for people who are in abusive (verbal, mental, emotional, or physical)relationships, but we can all glean so many things from them as they are all Biblical principles.

1. Skin -Your skin shows where your property begins and where others start. It’s the greatest boundary you have and the largest organ in your body. It holds you together, protects, and allows for the good and bad to be exchanged.
2. Words - Mat 5:37—You can create great protection with your words. Words set limits and prevent abuse. Mat 18:15-20, 2Cor. 2:7. Your words set the “edges” and communicate feelings, intent and dislikes.
3. Truth - John 8:32 knowing the truth sets the boundaries with God. satan is a great destroyer of truth and will try to destroy your defenses
4. Geographical—Best defense, “don’t be there” The Bible encourages us to separate ourselves from those who hurt us or situations that are harmful to us. In so doing the one causing the hurt must face life alone and take responsibility for actions and or we won't have to be around the harmful environment. 1 Corinthians. 5:11-13
5. Time - Ecc. 3: 5-6 Not everything is forever, but there is a time for everything.
6. Emotional Distance - temporary boundary, never permanent. Luke 3:8 Guard against repeat offenses for those who claim to be “better”.
7. Others - Creating boundaries always calls for a support network.
a. to provide for deep internal need for people
b. to impart wisdom
8. Consequences - 2 Thes. 3:10 Natural consequences are the “bite” that results from overstepping
boundaries. The “barbs” on a barbed wire fence.
Misinformation about and/or ignoring boundaries can cause even more problems: depression, anxiety, guilt disorders, eating disorders, shame issues, panic disorders, addictions, marital and relational disorders.

God LOVES us so much and wants the best for His children. He wants us to be whole in every way so that we can know how much He loves us, and we then can love Him back, want to please him and be equipped to do every good work that He assigns us to do!
3 John 1:2 "Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in every way and that your body may keep well, even as I know your soul (mind, will and emotion) keeps well and prospers."
Timothy 3:16-17 "Every Scripture is God breathed (given by is inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, and for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God's will and thought, purpose, and action). So that the man of God may be complete and proficient, well, fitted and thoroughly equipped for every good work."



No comments:

Post a Comment